Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Something New Learnt

A conversation happened earlier between my uncle and I.

Cutting it short, I'm putting 'U' as Uncle & 'Me' for Me.

U: Open Google and type in "IEM"
Me: Does that stands for Institute of Engineers Malaysia?
U: Just open it.

And so I opened it and yeah, as I thought the search results came out as what I told him earlier. All about Institute of Engineers Malaysia.

U: No.
Me: Why no?
U: Now type in "inborn..."

So there was the drop down sugesstion box.

Me: Is it this one - "Inborn Errors of Metabolism"??
U: Yes, that's the one. So please tell Kirin (my brother) to major in that after his graduation. This is very very rare in Malaysia.
Me: Okay, but i hardly get to talk to him. He doesn't even reply my email and I've SMS him to call 3 days ago but he still haven't call. He's even too busy to be on Skype. Pfffftt!!
(I'm telling you, its even worse due to the time difference)

And so I was curious. I Wiki-ed it. Here is a bit of IEM.

Inborn errors of metabolism comprise a large class of genetic diseases involving disorders of metabolism. The majority are due to defects of single genes that code for enzymes that facilitate conversion of various substances (substrates) into other (products). In most of the disorders, problems arise due to accumulation of substances which are toxic or interfere with normal function, or to the effects of reduced ability to synthesize essential compounds. Inborn errors of metabolism are now often referred to as congenital metabolic diseases or inherited metabolic diseases, and these terms are considered synonymus.

No comments: